Wednesday 7 August 2013

Saying Goodbye to Nursing

So today was my second last day shift of my nursing career. What a surreal feeling. I was sitting alone in the cafeteria on my break, one of the few times I've sat in that cafeteria alone and one of the few day shifts I've actually taken a real break! A typical break during a day shift would consist of sitting in that same cafeteria with coworkers, enthusiastically dicing apart the exciting, annoying, or unusual things that had happened so far that day. Situation or weather permitting, sometimes it would consist of jaunting around the building doing the same to blow off steam. After my next few shifts were over, who knew when I would be in this building next. What could change? Would these memories be so far away they would then only be slight recollections? Running up and down these halls to get blood for patients, picking up new admits from emerge, or taking patients to tests would no longer be second nature.

I have been working in nursing roles for over six years already. Time has really flown by. I had great patients today and it reminded me why I loved what I do so much. I found myself wanting to stay longer at the end of the day. To stay with my patients, and make sure they were alright - to watch them improve even  more. Until I thought "Hello Nicole!! Nursing burnout 101!! Know when to quit!!" That is one thing I am going to miss so much though - taking care of people. It is amazing sometimes how you can watch someone improve over the course of the day. I keep telling myself "In a few more shifts, you're not going to be a nurse anymore"...and that to me is just crazy! That's my identity as far as I am concerned. That is where I thrive, where I am happy, where I'm comfortable, and confident. Saying goodbye to work is hard. I am so happy that I've done things the way that I have because I couldn't imagine taking this next step before the one below it.

No comments:

Post a Comment