Wednesday 25 September 2013

Block Exams...Round One

I'm writing a quick update because I have had several people ask why I haven't written a blog entry in a while. In our program, on top of our regular assignments, quizzes, etc, we have block exams - which are exams that happen at the end of every month. They happen over the course of two days and we have an exam in each of our courses. This semester, since we have five courses, we have five exams in the two days, plus our anatomy practical, in which they basically stick a bunch of pins in the cadavers and we have to identify the structures that the pins are sticking in to, as well as answer whatever other questions they ask pertaining to those structures (for example, which nerve innervates the muscle they are pointing to, or which blood vessel supplies it, or which function it performs).

Our first round of block exams start Friday - so we have exams Friday and Monday. Studying for these exams is pretty crazy -- the exams are worth 70-100% of our "block" mark, depending on the course, so they are quite obviously really important. In the past three days, I have been at the school for over 45 hours, studying my tail off. I'll admit, it's been pretty stressful. I've got a pretty awesome study group - we work really well together and it's been really helpful working through things them. We've been using the study rooms in the library, then catching the bus home at 10pm. By the time I get home (around 1030), I'm exhausted, and have just enough energy to have a shower and wash the sweat, tears, and cadaver juice from the day off, and jump in to bed. Just to do it all over again. I do have LOTS to write home about, but it will have to wait until these exams are over. I assure you all, I am alive and well!

More to come soon! 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment